Monday, October 12, 2009

3 x 5 Interview with Nathan Madsen


In Fives:

1) In exactly five sentences, give us what you feel is important biographical information about your musical/sonic background.

I started studying various instruments including saxophone, piano, flute, trombone and percussion as well as singing in choir at a young age. I come from a very musical family which has always strongly encourage music performance and excellence. I have two degrees in music- a bachelors and masters. I started messing with audio in college by making funny songs for my roommates like "Math is Fun" and "I have to go" which seems to be a romantic ballad but is actually all about having to use the bathroom. I love working with all things audio and strive to constantly better myself, my craft and deepen my understanding.

2) Please state, in exactly five words, your interest in music/sound.

I love all things audio.

3) Now please state, in exactly five syllables, how you might describe your process of work.

emotive - thinking.

In Fours:

1) Using the rhythm of the famous four-note opening to Beethoven's Fifth Symphony (i.e. short, short, short, looong), please tell us a fact about you that we may not know.

I love to skiiiiiiiiiiiii. :)

2) Who are four people that have influenced your musical tastes?

John Williams, my grandfather (a conductor and professor of music), Nobuo Uematsu, Maurice Ravel

3) Name your preference: The Fab Four, The Four Tops or just good ol' Four-on-the-floor music?

The Fab Four.

In Threes:

1) Name three artists (composers, popular music, etc.) that make you feel all warm and squishy inside.

Guilliaume Boulard, Miles Davis, John Williams

2) Name three artists that make you want to wretch.

Kayne West, Kayne West, Kayne West (he deserves all three)

3) Address either three of your listed artists (in either category) with one question each or three questions to one artist.

Kayne West, why do you do such stupid, ride things?

In Twos:

1) List and describe two projects on which you're currently working.

Lego Universe: MMO: A fun Lego game! That's about all I can say right now.
Jumpgate Evolution: MMO An epic space game! That's also about all I can say right now.
 
2) And how are they both going?

Pretty good.

3) How do you feel they are challenging your current skill set?

They are challenging my with regards to: Overall scope

In Ones:

1) Name one environmental element of the creative process that you find essential (e.g. coffee, a certain chair, etc.)

Inspiration (I can make all of the other details come into place)

2) What is one area in which you hope to improve your work?

Sound design

3) What is one thing you would like people to know when listening to your work?

That I do my best every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment